27.2.18

book review :: stitch camp!

FTC Compliant Disclosure:  I was sent a copy of this book by Storey Publishing Co. to facilitate a review, however, all opinions expressed below are entirely my son's and my own.


Last fall, this gorgeous book arrived in my mailbox, and since then, it's been living on the kitchen table in constant use.  The moment I pulled it from the envelope, my 7 year old son grabbed it and got to work.  First was the bean bag sewing project. Then crochet.  Then weaving.  And about a month ago he learned to knit.  Looking through Stitch Camp, his enthusiasm is hardly surprising.  The photos are bright & bold, and the projects are super kid-friendly.  I could go on and on about this fabulously fun book, but honestly, I'm not the one who's been using it.  Hence, my 7 year old (LB) will be writing the rest of this review.


LB:  I like this book because you can learn all this cool step-by-step embroidery, weaving, crochet and knitting... It can teach children of all ages and grown-ups.


LB: I chose this beanbag sewing project first because it would be fun to play with.  It was a little bit hard to do the blanket-stitch, but I figured it out.  I started off doing the whip-stitch, but then I got good at the blanket-stitch!


LB: And the weaving was very very very fun because you can go over and under and over and under, because it's just like swimming where you go underwater, then you come up to take a breath, and go under water again, and keep doing that again and again.


LB: This weaving necklace was very easy and fun to make!


LB: I made this beaded crochet chain bracelet for my mom. I added a pink button because it matched the pink yarn!!


LB: My mom said maybe knitting would be too hard for me and that I could learn when I was nine.  But I kept asking her to show me, and then she showed me and at first I was very frustrated and then I learned.  And I'm not nine.  I'm still seven!  I love knitting -- I want to knit all day and never stop.


Thank you Nicole Blum & Catherine Newman!  Thank you Storey Publishing for this fun book!  Thank you LB for helping me write this review!

8 comments:

  1. Way to go. Every year I teach nine and ten year olds to weave and knit and that knitting part is hard to get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! it's not easy! I tried teaching him a year ago, and things ended in tears (mine? his? both?) I have also been facilitating knitting/crochet seminars with 5th-8th graders at my son's school, and many of the students had a tough time with knitting. My younger son happens to have a knack for this sort of thing...

      Thank you for saying hello!
      mb

      Delete
  2. A very good book for a very young and talented creator-journalist !
    Have a nice day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. merci pour tes gentilles paroles, chere amie!

      Delete
  3. I love that the actual age group this book is geared to liked and reviewed it.Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny - I think the book is geared to slightly older children (perhaps 9 and up). My younger son happens to have a knack for things like crochet, knitting, origami, etc...

      Thanks for saying hello!
      mb

      Delete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)